I had a particular interest in this panel because I grew up in a single-parent home. My dad walked out when I was infant and I was reunited with him when I was 19 years old. So, I guess it’s natural that I tend to keep my ear to the ground to discover new statistics in that area.
Here are some stats from the press briefing:
– 29% of youth globally are without dads
– 33% of American youth are without dads
– 3 in 4 suicides are from those raised in a fatherless home
– 90% of homeless youth and runaways are from fatherless homes
– Fatherless youth are seven times as likely to drop out of school
– 85% of incarcerated youth are from fatherless home
– 75% of youth in chemical abuse centers are from fatherless home
“Twenty-four million children will go to bed tonight fatherless,” said former NFL star Eddie Kennison.
“It’s easier to walk away from your marriage than your mortgage, think about that,” said Sportscaster Phil Stone.
I didn’t watch the screening of Courageous but it didn’t get very high marks from most of my colleagues. I hopeful though, that it will at least raise awareness of this issue.