By Tracy Simmons
Flickr photo by rob_rob2001
Call if Shrove Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras – whatever you want. Whatever you call it, tonight, on the eve of Lent, many Christians will feast on pancakes.
Why pancakes, you ask?
Because it’s tradition. Nowadays most people give up something like chocolate or meat during Lent, but once upon a time people commonly gave up eggs, sugar and flour. Pancakes were a good way to use up those ingredients before the Lenten fast.
Lots of churches are having pancake dinners tonight. You can find listings here.
Or, if you want to stay at home, here are some tasty Fat Tuesday Recipes.
Posted in Belief, Christian-Catholic, Christian-Orthodox, Christian-Protestant, Doctrine & Practice, Uncategorized
Tagged fat tuesday, mardi gras, pancake dinners in spokane, pancake tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, Spokane
By Tracy Simmons
Ash Wednesday watercolor from 1818/Wikimedia Commons
Next week marks the beginning of the Lenten season for Western churches. Traditionally the season is kicked off with pancake suppers on Shrove Tuesday (pancakes are eaten because many people refrain from the food’s main ingredients — sugar, flour and eggs — during Lent). Then, on Ash Wednesday, many Christians have ashes put on their foreheads as a reminder of their physical return to dust as they enter the 40 days of Lent. Lent is a reminder of Christ’s 40-day fast in the desert and the 40 years the Israelites wandered in the desert.
Below are Shrove Tuesday, Ash Wednesday and Lent listings from Spokane-area churches.
- 7 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 22 at Christ the King Anglican Church in Spokane, Ash Wednesday Service, 6 p.m., Wednesdays during Lent, Lenten Soup Supper & Compline, 7 p.m., Thursday, April 5, Maundy Thursday Service, 7 p.m., Friday, April 6, Good Friday Service, 10:15 a.m., Sunday, April 8, Easter Sunday Service
- 6:15 a.m., 8:15 a.m., Wednesday, Feb. 22, at Mount St. Michael Parish in Spokane, Ash Wednesday Services, 7:30 p.m., High Mass
- 5-7 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 21, at St. David’s Episcopal Church in Spokane, Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper, 12 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 22, Ash Wednesday Eucharist Service, 7 p.m. Celtic Ash Wednesday Eucharist, 7 p.m., Tuesdays during Lent, Evening Prayer, 7—8:30 p.m., Wednesdays during Lent, “Exploring Prayer and Practice”
- 5:30-7 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 21, at St. John the Evangelist Cathedral in Spokane, Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper, $4 for adults, $3 for seniors and children, $10 for families, 7 a.m., 10 a.m., 12 p.m., 7 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 22, Ash Wednesday Worship
- 7 a.m., Wednesday, Feb. 22 at New Community Church in Spokane, Ash Wednesday Service, 9 a.m., 11 a.m., Sunday, April 1, Palm Sunday Service, 6 p.m., Friday, April 1, Good Friday Service
- 5-7 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 21, Salem Lutheran Church in Spokane at Project Hope House, 2605 W Boone in Spokane, Mardi Gras in the Garden Potluck, 7 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 22, Ash Wednesday candlelight service with homily and ashes
- 7 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 22 at Central Lutheran Church, Ash Wednesday Service, 5:45—6:45 p.m., Thursdays, March 1 through March 22, Lenten Soup Supper, 7 p.m., Wednesdays, Lenten Midweek Service, 7 p.m., Wednesday, March 28, “The Seven Last Words of Christ,” A Choir Cantata featuring local soloists, 7 p.m., Thursday, April 5, – Maundy Thursday Service, 7 p.m., Friday, April 6, Good Friday Service, 7 p.m., Saturday, April 7, Easter Vigil Service, 10:30 a.m., Sunday, April 8, Easter Resurrection Service
United Church of Christ
- 7 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 22, at Westminster UCC in Spokane, Ash Wednesday Service, 9:30-10:20 a.m., Sundays during Lent, Sampler of Spiritual Practices adult forums, Feb 26, Eastern sitting meditation practice, yoga as spiritual practice, March 4, Lectio Divina for groups, March 11, Pilgrimage and Walking Meditation, March 18, Celtic prayer practices, March 25, protest and social justice as spiritual practice, April 1, your own practices, questions, ideas, possibilities, April 5, Maundy Thursday Footwashing in the pattern of the Brethren churches, April 6, Good Friday solemn service of songs and readings, April 8, 9—10 a.m. Easter breakfast, 10:30 a.m. worship
To have your listing added email email@example.com
Posted in Belief, Christian-Catholic, Christian-Protestant, Doctrine & Practice, Faith, Uncategorized
Tagged Ash Wednesday, Lent, Lent services spokane, pancake dinners spokane, Shrove Tuesday, shrove tuesday spokane, Spokane, spokane ash wednesday services
By Tracy Simmons
The Lenten season is already upon us!
Perhaps that means next week your church is having a Shrove Tuesday dinner, followed by Ash Wednesday services on Feb. 22.
SpokaneFAVS wants to know about those events! We also want to know about any special Lent services your organization has planned. And while you’re at it, send me your Easter services time as well.
We’ll publish these listings so the Spokane community can know where upcoming services are being held.
Send your listings to firstname.lastname@example.org